This week 4.1 “Dinah” was released. A lot of attention was given by the developers to improve the accessibility of the front-end, the Admin and the default theme Twenty Fifteen.
What has improved
Twenty Fifteen is the most accessible default theme up to now:
- The colour contrast complies with WCAG 2.0 AA;
- The main menu, including the responsive hamburger menu, is fully keyboard and screen reader accessible;
- ARIA roles and landmarks are added;
- The heading structure is semantic;
- Accessible “Continue reading” links;
- Alt texts of the thumbnails are meaningful.
- Improved post/paging navigation template tags.
For the Admin work has been done for:
- The colour contrast;
- The Add Media panel;
- The Customizer.
A big thanks to all the developers and testers, who worked hard to get this done. And hopefully will continue to do so for WP 4.2.